Friday, November 9, 2012

Matched by Ally Condie: Book Review


So I finished reading Matched by Ally Condie a few weeks ago and have started on the second book, Crossed. These books are wonderfully written! Ally Condie is very talented, she's beautiful with words and ideas. 

Matched is a young adult novel taking place in a dystopian future. Cassia's whole life is decided and orchestrated by the Society. On her seventeenth birthday she is "matched' with the boy she is destined to marry. But when she finds an error in the system and learns she's matched to two different boys, her life gets changed in so many ways. 

This book is incredibly similar to The Giver by Lois Lowry. In both book the "society" the live in is very much planned out and organized. They are very similar to each other, but both have their own distinct story. This book has also been compared to The Hunger Games, which is possibly my favorite book series, but I'm not sure if there's a huge connection between the two besides a female lead and a twisted society. 

I really liked Matched. I felt it was slow in some parts so it was difficult for me to get through. Characterization was a little weak. I feel like I don't know the characters enough to really feel for them. If we're comparing Matched to The Hunger Games, Katniss is much better developed and you feel for her character so strongly, while Cassia you just follow along in her story. I love when books can just completely pull you in, rather than just bring you along for the ride. Matched only took me for a ride. Ally Condie is a very talented writer and I loved this idea! Her story line is fantastic! Slow, but fantastic. 

 I do recommend this novel, especially to the young adults for whom it is written. It is worth the read. 

As a note, the third novel in this series, Reached, comes out November 13th, four days from now. I'm currently on page 68 of the second one, Crossed, so I might not be there to buy it as soon as it comes out. 

If you've read this novel and have your own thoughts to share, please leave a comment! Thanks for reading! 

--Kaylee

No comments:

Post a Comment

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...