Monday, January 7, 2013

Adding Ringtones to Dumb Phones

I feel surrounded by smart phones. Everyone has one nowadays. Except me. And my family. Minus my dad, but his work gave him his iPhone.

I have a great passion for music and I've always wanted to show it through my ringtones. I hate the ringtones my phone gave me. So I learned a trick for getting my iTunes music onto my cellphone to use as a ringtone!! If you don't use iTunes, skip down to the last part, it might still be able to help you.

As a reference, I have the LG Rumor Touch which allows me to use a ringtone in my Photos & Videos file. So I used to always record a video with a song and make it my ringtone, but this method is simple and MUCH better quality.


Here are the quick and simple steps I use to create ringtones for my phone.

1. Pick out the song you want to use. I place it in a playlist so it's singled out more. (Yes the song I chose was Twilight Zone. Why? Because when it's an unknown number it's fun to have a creepy-ish song.)


2. Right click on your song then click on Get Info


When you click on Get Info, then click on the Options tab so your screen will look like this:


3. Check the Start Time and Stop Time and set them to what you want. This takes a lot of listening and re-listening to make sure it's right. The cool part is, once you set a Start Time and click Okay, when you play the song it will play the song from the Start Time. I usually keep my ringtones under 30 seconds.


4. When you've played your song and know it's what you want, right click on the song again and then click on Create AAC Version.


This will create another copy of your song but only with the time that you chose.


Don't forget to go back to the original copy of the song and undo the Start Time and Stop Time. Otherwise you might be very confused next time you try to play the song. Just un-check the boxes and hit Okay.

5. Now right click your song again and hit copy.


Paste the song into a folder on your computer. I put mine under Songs, then in a folder titled Ringtones.

6. Right click on your song in the folder and hit Rename.


This is the most important part!! Also, if you are not using iTunes, this part may be able to help you figure out what to do. Rename the file as a 3g2 file.


7. Once your file is renamed, simply put it on the SD Card of your phone in the DCIM folder and you're all set!

If you have any questions please let me know and I'll be happy to help! I realize most people don't have dumb phones anymore, so not many will need this tutorial, but this trick really helped me!

6 comments:

  1. THANKS! Easy to follow instructions with pics-LOVE IT! Very nice of you to take the time. It worked without any problems on my LG 840G from Tracfone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I'm so glad that this could help someone! :) Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for this. I did it! In the future I may use other sites to determine start and stop times and then go to itunes. Any chance you can do a fadeout in itunes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think itunes does a fade out, unfortunately. Glad this could help!

      Delete
  3. What if you don't have an SD card? My phone says it only has internal memory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. myxer is the perfect music download app for a person who loves music.

    ReplyDelete

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...