Sunday, April 26, 2015

Pinterest Project: Writing

Hello there! I have a new segment on my blog! Yay! This new segment is called Pinterest Projects and every month I will do at least one project of something I've pinned on Pinterest. If you know me, you know I'm addicted to Pinterest and pin a lot of things, but I never actually do anything with those pins. But this should change that. It can be a craft, recipe, cleaning or organization project, sewing, going on an adventure... anything really. And you can follow me on Pinterest HERE to see what types of things you'll probably see with this segment. I'm excited so here we go!

This first project though is a little vague and I can get into too many details. This past month though I have been working on my writing. I have a big writing project planned that will be starting up on this blog around June and it'll be awesome and terrifying but I'm so excited for you to finally read some of my fiction.

So for this Pinterest Project I built up my Writing Board on Pinterest and have started following tips and tricks for my writing. And while I can't tell you everything because it would ruin the surprises coming up, I can show you some of the pins that have helped me during this project.


I have a very sporadic style of writing and I can't focus on one chapter at a time. So I've been working a lot on outlining things so even when I skip a few chapters, I still know what those chapters are supposed to be like and what I want to do with them. 

I've also dealt a lot with Writer's Block in the past (I'm sure you could tell because it affects this blog as well) so I've been pushing through and forcing myself to write, but not in a mean way. Even if it's just a few sentences, I make myself write each day. Progress is progress no matter how slow you're going. 


I think that the best way to build my writing technique is by reading. But I don't read nearly as much as I should be. I'm always looking for new books and this was a great pin for me to help find new stuff. 

And in case you're wondering, I think I was very first inspired by The Phantom Tollbooth . And I honestly can't tell you what it's about, I've long forgotten the details of it all, but I remember being a little girl reading this book in school and being transported to a different world and I wanted to do that. I wanted to make my own world. I had a big imagination as a child, and still do, and all of that is what goes into my writing. I think The Phantom Tollbooth really sparked my imagination. 

I'm also in love with Romeo and Juliet , and I get questioned about it a lot because it is a tragedy and it's Shakespeare so it's complex, but I honestly love a good tragic romance. Real life isn't all fairy-tales and that's what Shakespeare taught me and I love it. 

I have a blog post about the 10 most important books in my life and you can find that HERE


"Don't just start stories, FINISH THEM." I started typing up stories on the family computer when I was pretty young, and I never finished a single one. This has always been my problem and it's something I've been working on the past few years as I try tackling multiple books at once, and fail. Currently I'm focusing on one thing at a time and it's making the writing process easier for me. 


I first read these Pixar rules for storytelling about a year ago and I was blown away. This is honestly the greatest writing advice I've ever been given and I've worked hard to double check my writing to see if it's following these rules. 


I'll admit a Tumblr post about Sherlock is a weird thing to put on my Writing Board, so let me explain a bit. Firstly, I'm obsessed with Sherlock . I've seen every episode multiple times and I'm constantly looking up things like this on Pinterest. But this post really stood out to me as a writer because I want my writing to be as good as Sherlock. I want depth in my relationships, in actions and decisions, in everything really. I swear every time I watch Sherlock I catch something I didn't before and that's what I want from my writing and something I strive for. 


I used to resist advice. I was always writing for me and didn't want other people telling me how to do it. But that's the thing, I can still be myself and take advice like this. It will only improve me.


Lastly, I've had to recognize that this is a long and difficult journey to get to where I want to be. I have high expectations for myself but I will only be able to achieve them if I take it one step at a time. 

I've always loved writing and I'm so excited to start sharing my writing with you (hopefully June). Don't forget to follow my blog and social media so you can be the first to know what it happens. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...