Friday, November 29, 2013

Wrecking Ball

I have done my best to avoid talking about Miley Cyrus on this blog for various reasons. Basically though, I'm not a fan and never have been, sorry Hannah Montana. I've only been a fan of her hair...


...but then she cut it...


And while it doesn't always look like the above picture and she can make some styles work for her and it can look good, I really just liked her for her long hair.

Anyways, this post (as assumed by the title) is about her specific song Wrecking Ball. Here are the lyrics to the song:

We clawed, we chained our hearts in vain
We jumped never asking why
We kissed, I fell under your spell
A love no one could deny

Don't you ever say I just walked away 
I will always want you
I can't live a lie, running for my life
I will always want you

I came in like a wrecking ball
I never hit so hard in love
All I wanted was to break your walls
All you ever did was wreck me
Yeah, you, you wreck me

I put you high up in the sky 
And now, you're not coming down
It slowly turned, you let me burn
And now, we're ashes on the ground

Don't you ever say I just walked away
I will always want you
I can't live a lie, running for my life
I will always want you

I came in like a wrecking ball 
I never hit so hard in love
All I wanted was to break your walls
All you ever did was wreck me

I came in like a wrecking ball
Yeah, I just closed my eyes and swung
Left me crashing in a blazing fall
All you ever did was wreck me
Yeah, you, you wreck me

I never meant to start a war
I just wanted you to let me in
And instead of using force
I guess I should've let you win
I never meant to start a war
I just wanted you to let me in
I guess I should've let you win

Don't you ever say I just walked away 
I will always want you

I came in like a wrecking ball
I never hit so hard in love
All I wanted was to break your walls
All you ever did was wreck me

I came in like a wrecking ball
Yeah, I just closed my eyes and swung
Left me crashing in a blazing fall
All you ever did was wreck me
Yeah, you, you wreck me
Yeah, you, you wreck me

First of all, a few weeks ago I shared this video:


...for one of my Song of the Week Saturday posts. I absolutely love this version of this song! There's no annoying up and downs, it's all smooth and calming, which if you listen/read the words, it only makes sense that it should be done this way, not the naked way that I will not be posting on this blog.

...But let's talk about the naked thing for a second.

Miley chose (with the help of the director I'm sure) to do the music for this song naked. I see absolutely no justification for doing this song naked. The lyrics are very powerful and poetically speaking it's not that bad of a song. This song had/has potential, especially if done in the piano version seen above with someone who has a great voice (I don't love Miley's voice, sorry!).

But the main reason I wanted to write this post was about this:


That cat honestly made me laugh hysterically the whole time, which totally contradicts the point of the song! This isn't a funny song! It's a powerful song about a breakup. It's about loving someone so much you break when it falls apart. I've been through that, I understand that, I'm a huge supporter of heartbreaking songs. But a song like this doesn't need a singing cat in space.

In fact, a singing cat in space is the exact opposite of what this song needs. Miley got very emotional during this performance yet she lacked our emotional investment because of the silly cat! Doesn't she want us to understand her emotions behind this song? Why would she ruin a perfectly good emotional performance for a singing cat in space?

I honestly can't help but compare her performance in the AMA's to another performance that night by another girl her age, a Nickelodon star with a very similar background to Miss Miley. My personal favorite singer right now, Miss Ariana Grande:


Ariana knew that her song didn't need anything special. She knew she just had to sing the song and it could be successful. Quite honestly, this performance is one of the most amazing award performances I've seen in a long time, because she focused on the song, the beautiful song. She sold the song, she sold her voice, and she made it memorable because of what she can give to this song.

Miley sold her song with a singing cat in space. We don't remember that Miley got emotional, we don't focus on the lyrics of the song, we can only think about why on earth Miley has a singing cat behind her and why she doesn't like wearing clothes.

I suppose I just don't understand Miley. The song had/has potential, but she tainting the powerful lyrics with cats and nakedness.

What do you think about Wrecking Ball? Leave a comment below and let me know! 
THANKS FOR READING! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...