Thursday, November 26, 2015

How Wonderful Is Thanksgiving?

Isn't it especially cool that we celebrate a holiday every year specifically focused on gratitude? Okay, so I don't think at the original Thanksgiving feast they were thinking: "And thus, every year on the last Thursday of November the people of this land shall have a feast much like ours. They will gorge themselves with food and give thanks for the many blessings which they have received in the past year. And then, when their feasting is through and their gratitude has been expressed, they shall camp out at the mall for some killer sales."

That's totally how pilgrims talked, by the way.

No, but when you really think about it this is such a cool holiday! And even if you don't have family around, don't get to have a great big feast, isn't it amazing to think about the blessings you do have?

I've had a really rough year. In April a friend of mine passed away, the entire summer I was battling with depression and harmful thoughts, in August I learned my brother was no longer going to church, on my birthday three weeks ago I had my first ever surgery for my miscarriage, I've had a life-long struggling with self image and I'm currently at my highest weight and hating myself, and this week has been stressful beyond belief (that will possibly be explained in a later post).

I think it's so easy to focus on the negative things in our lives. Living with depression it's incredibly easy. Depression manipulates your brain. Depression makes me believe things that aren't true. Depression is like a black hole inside of me, a darkness that I can't ever fully get rid of, but can just find light to drown it out.

But around this time I'm always able to fight the negatives and really think about what's good in my life.

I've gotten really far in my book writing. I'm learning how to run and training for a 5k. I was able to get pregnant and know in my heart I will be able to get pregnant again. I got an awesome new hairdo. I was able to renew my faith in my religion and in God. I have a family that always loves and supports me. And I have a husband who makes me happier than anything else in the world, and this week he surprised me with a big present (which is actually the thing that caused me so much stress, but it's the sweetest gesture in the world and you will learn about it at some point).

I have a habit of focusing on negatives, but I know I am blessed. I have been blessed my whole life. Despite my depression, I've lived an incredibly fortunate life. I've always been able to have a home, have food on the table, and be surrounded by people who love and care about me. I know there are so many people in the world who aren't nearly as blessed as me. Sometimes it makes me feel even spoiled. But I guess that's why Charity of the Month is coming back next year, so I can feel like I'm giving back to others.

This is such a wonderful time of the year! There is so much chaos in the world but when we sit down and think it through, we all have blessings to count.

I hope you all have been having a wonderful Thanksgiving! Don't forget to share your gratitude for those in your life and for the things you have. I would love to hear about what you are most grateful for this year so feel free to leave a comment below with a list of your blessings. You can read mine from my Happy Tuesday post found HERE.

I love all my readers. I am truly grateful for each and every one of you because you make me smile and bring me happiness. You keep me going. I love you and I hope you are all having a wonderful day.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...