Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Realizing You Can't Do It

I believe that everyone has a moment in their life when they realize that just can't do it. People can say "You can do it" and give you an enthusiastic thumbs-up, but when you really sit down and think it over, you know you can't.

At one point in my life I had to face the fact that I would never be as flexible as the dancers on So You Think You Can Dance. I tried so hard for years and I could do the splits most of the time, but I would never be able to use my flexibility in my dancing as well as they could. It just couldn't be done.

Another time I had to find out that my horrible knees would prevent me from doing a lot of things. They held me back. While I learned to work around them and deal with the pain, there were always things that I wouldn't be able to do.

After receiving a failing grade on an essay in college I had to come to terms with the fact that I just wasn't as good at essay writing as the others in my class. I continued to work hard, despite constantly feeling discouraged, and faced the fact that it didn't come as naturally to me as it did to some other people. I just couldn't do it the same way they did.

There are always things in life that we just can't do. I'm facing a lot right now that I don't really want to go into, but sometimes we become stronger by realizing what we can't do, coping with it, and moving on. It reminds me of one of my favorite quotes:


I will never be a famous dancer, I've faced that fact and I can't worry about not being good enough anymore. I did my best so why worry? I have other talents. I have other likes and interests, so why get so hung up on a single aspect in my life that I can't do? Perhaps that's just not what I'm meant to do. Perhaps I'm meant for bigger and better things.

Sometimes you can't do things, but it's nothing to worry about. It's a lesson to be learned. We can all move on from the things that hold us back. All we have to do in life is our very best, and our very best is always good enough. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...