Tuesday, September 11, 2012

September 11th


I was 10 years old on September 11th, 2001. I remember seeing the first plane fly into the World Trade Center, a place I had never heard of before. My mom was watching it on television as I was leaving for school. I remember the sadness in her eyes, but at the time I didn't understand why.

When I walked into Mrs. Mills' fifth grade class, she was busy setting up a TV in the classroom. All the other fifth graders joined us in our big classroom. And they turned on the news.


I felt so confused and angry that someone would attack my home. I felt scared. I didn't know what would come next. I remember thinking what might come after this event. How will it change everything? It did change everything. America was changed that day.

In 5th grade you learn about U.S. History. I remember the teachers in that classroom begin to explain to us what was happening. That this moment was history. We were living through a historical event. We had just seen history in the making.


Eleven year ago from today, this event happened and changed my life forever. Even today these videos bring tears to my eyes. I remember the fear that followed for months to come. I remember a month later, my dad leaving on an airplane for a business trip, and how scared I was for him to get on that plane. I remember that winter, the Salt Lake City 2002 Olympics, and the caution that everyone had, not wanting another attack to happen. I lived near Salt Lake, I went to an Olympic hockey game. I remember the security. The fear. The caution. Everyone is more cautious now. Especially on planes.



September 11th, 2001 changed my life forever. And I will never forget.


Do you remember where you were? And how you felt? And how this event changed you? Please leave a comment and let me know.

--Kaylee

1 comment:

  1. The Sept 11 event not only changed America and its people but the whole nations and all of the 7 billion people on planet earth.

    Everyone, not only in America, were afraid to travel by plane. The level of national security in each nation is an all-time high. Everyone were thinking who is going to be next..?

    If there's one thing that change me after the event of Sept 11, it is terrorism goes beyond religious boundaries. It is not so much of this or that particular religion that's to be blamed, it is HATE. HATE cut across any racial and religious boundaries.

    No religion in this world preaches HATE. No universal morality teaches one race to HATE a different race because of the different color of their skin.

    It is the people or for that matter anyone who chooses HATE over LOVE & FORGIVENESS and is using religion, as the Sept 11 unfold, as a means to achieve their objective. It's sad, because that's always a no good ending for those who chose HATE. Look what happened to Osama bin Laden.

    Yes, I agreed with John Lennon, "Imagine all the people, living life in peace..."

    :)

    ReplyDelete

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...