Sunday, March 2, 2014

Money Free March

Welcome to March! March is a good month. In Utah the weather flips from Spring to Winter and back and forth again everyday so it's certainly an adventure. But this has been a surprisingly warm Winter so who knows what will happen. St. Patrick's Day is exciting too. One year my best friend and I hosted a St. Patrick's Day party and it was pretty great up until a friend pulled a knife on another kid... yeah, high school was a weird time for me.

Anyways, this month my husband and I decided to do something different to help us out financially. We are not going to spend any money during the month of March. 



Obviously there are exceptions to the rule. We have to pay rent and other bills, we are allowed to buy gas for the car and necessary groceries, but that's it! Nothing else!

There are three main reasons for this challenge:

  1. I made a New Years Resolution this year to save up more money and basically to give us a financially safe bank account. 
  2. Last year we really struggled to pay bills and ended up having to move to a cheaper apartment. I don't want us to ever be in that situation again. 
  3. We eat out... a lot. And by making the decision to not spend any money that means less fried food and possibly I'd be able to lose weight
This challenge will honestly be a challenge for us. We are comfortable and set in our ways, but we both know things need to change. So, with the exception of our date night yesterday, we are going to hide away our debit cards, not spend any cash, and only make necessary food purchases. It'll be good for us and help us save up some extra money but also maybe get us in the habit of spending less. 

I challenge you to join us in Money Free March! I'll be tweeting updates about our challenge on my Twitter page so don't forget to follow me! If you end up doing the challenge with us don't forget to tweet about it as well using #moneyfreemarch so I can see how you're doing as well! 
THANKS FOR READING!! 

1 comment:

  1. Ahh! Good luck- this seems like it will definitely be a challenge - I really need to try something similar! Living in NYC it is so easy to order take-out and grab a cab versus making your own food and taking public transportation. I'm excited to see how the month progresses for you, I will be following along for sure! Thanks for the post!

    - Rebekah @ bluegiraffesandconcretejungles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...