Sunday, December 22, 2013

I Support Phil Robertson

Hi friends! Today I have a very special guest blogger. Coming from his soccer blog, Utah Scouser, my wonderful husband, Chris!! Our views on this issue are a little different, but I support him in this and we support Phil Robertson.

_____________________________________________________

Hello everyone, as Kaylee said I am her husband Chris. I love to write about soccer, which I am very passionate about, but I am also passionate about my religion. I must admit that my passion for the LDS faith is not as strong as it was during my mission to Scotland, but I still defend my beliefs when they are questioned. I am a journalist student and I am one of the most conservative guys in my class, so I get my fair share of liberal...views on a regular basis.

I wanted to write about the sudden social media war that was sparked when Duck Dynasty star Phil Robertson, the family's grandfather, spoke out about his concern for America's loss of morals especially when pertaining to homosexuality. I had my Mormon friends liking "Support Phil" memes and then my liberal friends condemning him. I have also seen many memes showing horrible things that have occurred on television like Miley Cyrus's shenanigans and yet many Americans believe a man who states his beliefs and quotes the Bible is much worse and should be banded from television. Simply put Phil Robertson has lost his job because of his religious views.

I have to say that this is just silly. First of all Americans need to wake up and grow up. Oh no, someone in the backwoods of Louisiana said he doesn't have the same beliefs as me! Burn him at the stake! Kill the beast! Grow up for crying out loud. If you don't know that practicing Christians believe that gays are going to hell then I'm sorry you're a moron.

Lets break down why Christians condemn homosexual behavior. Phil said himself that he is a sinner and has done a lot of horrible things in the past but that he and all of God's children (including homosexuals) can be saved through the power of the Atonement of Jesus Christ. True Christians condemn all behaviors that are not in line with God's will, or His commandments, with sexual sin being the second worst type of sin a person can commit. The leaders of the LDS church have urged its members to help protest the legalization of gay marriage in order to help keep our nation a God-fearing one. As Phil said, "if we lose our morality, we will lose our country. It will happen."

Let me clarify a little bit though. I do not hate homosexuals, but I must say that I know they are going to hell unless they repent, just as all of us must repent of our own sins in order to go to heaven. But Mormons and Christians who say they support gay marriage are only kidding themselves. If we tell people: "eat drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die," we would only be saying we don't care if you go to hell, just enjoy yourself!

I myself have an uncle who is gay which I must admit has made me think more about this subject ever since I learned last year of his change in sexual orientation. He has and always will be my favorite uncle and the last thing I would want to do is hurt him but I can't hide the fact that I believe he will go to hell if he doesn't repent.

I hope that one day I will have the opportunity to be a column writer for a newspaper and have the opportunity to write on topics like this on a regular basis (though I know I will have to tone it down a little bit :p). I would like to thank my beautiful wife for allowing me to rant for a little while and I would love to hear your views on the Phil Robertson comments and the reactions. I'll leave you with a quote from Phil Robertson in his interview that sparked this whole fiasco: "It seems like, to me, a vagina- as a man- would be more desirable than a man's anus." I couldn't have said it better myself Phil.

__________________________________________________________

[Kaylee again] I just want to add to what my husband said. While my views aren't quite as extreme as Chris's, I do support Phil. I have many friends who are gay and I love them and wouldn't treat them any differently than I do my other friends, because we're all human beings and deserve love and respect from everyone, despite our sexual orientation, gender, skin color, race, etc. But Phil is an honest Christian man who knows the Bible and knows it well. We can't hide from the fact that what Phil said is true and honest. He did not say anything that was untruthful. 

As a Duck Dynasty fan, I know that Phil and his whole family are very kind and loving people. They do a lot to help others and I think they are an ideal family to be on television (as opposed to other celebrity families on television who aren't nearly as loving, such as the Kardashians). I don't just support Phil because I love the show, but because I know he was telling the truth. Yes, those different than us need our love and support, but we can't just put on a mask and hide from the truth. 

I hate putting controversial things like this up on my blog, but I do think this is an important issue and I promised my husband he could write about it. Ha ha. But really though, I do have an opinion on this as well.

____________________________________________________________

We would love to hear your personal views and reactions to this story. Please leave a comment below and let us know what you think! 
THANKS FOR READING! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...