Monday, June 3, 2013

Things I've Learned From Being Married For Three Weeks

I realize three weeks is a very short amount of time, especially considering we're sealed together for eternity, but when you move in together and start new lives together, in just three weeks you can learn a lot.

1. You can't let the little things bother you.

When Chris proposed and I happily said yes, I had no idea that he had the tendency of leaving his socks around the house or left drawers open (one of my biggest pet peeves). But I knew that I loved him, and that I still love him, and if it's possible, I love him even more now than I did back then. The truth is that despite these little imperfections, I still love him. And even though it may be annoying that he leaves drawers open, it's not like it's that hard for me to go and close them.

2. Not all ovens like you.

In our apartment we somehow got some demon oven that you have to watch carefully or you'll burn your food. Yesterday I was making these biscuits. I set the temperature correctly, I put them in and set a timer. However, like eight minutes before the timer went off, the biscuits were done. Almost daily we end up burning something in that oven. We're trying to learn it's ways, but it doesn't want us to figure it out. It's a demon oven. Not all ovens will like you.

3. I have more clothes than I thought.

We have a beautiful two bedroom apartment. Each bedroom has two, fairly big closets. My clothes currently fill two of the closets and a large dresser. One of those closets is entirely for my coats, jackets and sweaters. I have a lot of clothes. I'm using some organization techniques that will help me visually see what I don't wear, so by December I want to donate some of the clothes I don't wear.

4. My husband likes fishing a lot more than I thought.

I knew Chris liked fishing. I've been fishing with him a lot and I enjoy it. I knew that he had been going fishing a lot with his friends and his brothers. I did not, however, know that even when we're married, he'd want to leave me at least three times a week to go fishing. I'm fine with fishing and I'm fine with joining him, but I currently haven't, because I'd rather get this apartment all fixed up first. I just never imagined he would fish this much without me.

5. I am much more like my mom than I thought.

My mom loves to clean. Everything in our home always had to be clean. There couldn't be any dishes in the sink, there couldn't be things on the floor, the counters had to be clean, etc. Apparently, when I moved in to a place of my own, I brought all those qualities with me. I hate when there are dishes in the sink. Because it's MY sink. I own (fine, rent) that sink. Those are MY dishes (fine, mine and Chris's). They can't be dirty! All the dishes have to be clean because they're MINE. What's more, I feel like I'm constantly cleaning. I stress out when things aren't clean. It has to be perfect. I don't know why I'm suddenly like my mother now, but I like it. I love having a clean apartment (but it still has a lot of work) and I'm so much more like my mom than I ever thought I was. Thank you mom!

6. I don't handle unemployment well.

There's an episode of How I Met Your Mother where Marshall is unemployed and he just goes around to all his friends and is like "What are you doing?" Because he has nothing else to do with his life. (I was trying to find the clip but couldn't, the episode is called "Do I Know You?" It's the first episode of season four.) That's how I feel. I don't know what to do with my life besides clean and watch Friends (but now I really want to start watching How I Met Your Mother again...). I'm losing my mind. And I've applied for some jobs, I still need to apply for more, but I better get a job soon, because we can't live off of Chris's job right now and we're getting low on funds and have bills to pay (anyone want to donate to the Help-Chris-and-Kaylee-Afford-Their-Apartment fund???). Or if anyone knows of a job in Cache Valley, just let me know. :)

7. I spend too much money.

We got a whole lot of money from our wedding. TONS! We felt rich! But now it's gone-ish. Why? Because life is expensive and I like shopping way too much. I'm trying to resist, but it's hard. Chris and I need to sit down together and discuss our finances better because we're losing too much money and certainly not making enough.

8. Communication is important.

Chris and I have been together over a year and a half. We know each other very well. I'd say one of our best qualities as a couple is that we've always been able to communicate in a mild and friendly manner. Even when we're upset with each other, we know how to communicate without starting a huge argument. I've always been told that fights are good for a relationship and it helps you to grow. Chris and I have grown so much as a couple because of our communication skills. With marriage, our communication skills have only gotten better.

9. We love spending time together!

...which is very good consider we're with each other constantly except when Chris is fishing or at work. I know someone getting married in a few months. She's been with her man for over a year, but she still says things like, "I don't know how couples can be with each other all the time, sometimes I just get so sick of him and need a break." Needless to say, I'm a little worried about their relationship. Chris and I have never had a problem with being together. Growing up I was a very private person, I would sit in my bedroom alone and hate if anyone in my family bothered me. And while I still love my alone time, for some reason things are different with Chris. I don't care if he interrupts my private time. I just love having him around.

10. Love always grows.

This past week I had a medical procedure done (I will possibly be writing about this later). I was lying on the medical chair thing and Chris was sitting in the corner of the room, watching as my whole body was shaking with nerves. He got this strange look on his face. He was genuinely worried about me. He kept telling me over and over again that everything would be alright, that everything was going to go well, I would be okay. After his words and a short prayer my body stopped shaking. Later that day, when the numbing was wearing off and the pain started, I squeezed his hand so hard because of the pain, but he didn't care. Chris loves me in every way. He always has and always will take care of me. And after a silly thing like that I could feel my love for him grow even stronger. Love always grows, I'll never be done loving Chris.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...